There are an awful lot of free games floating around there right now, from Epic's weekly freebies to publisher promos on Steam, GOG sale giveaways, and more. Keeping track of them all can be tough, and you might be missing out.
That is not an acceptable state of affairs, so we've put together this running list of every free game that crosses our screens. The goal is to help you find and claim games that usually cost money, so free-to-keep and temporary promotions will be included and noted as such, but free-to-play games and others that are normally free won't be—for that, be sure to take a look at our categorized breakdown of the best free PC games.
Now let's get started:
- Desperadoes 3 – A story-driven, hardcore tactical stealth-tactics game set in the hard, unforigiving Wild West—”a brilliant tactical playground that will fill you with lead over and over again,” we said in our 86% review. (Steam, ends September 19)
Free to keep:
- Speed Brawl – A 2D combat-racer about moving fast and hitting hard. Maintain momentum, build combos, and unleash powerful special moves as you battle alien invaders in the late 19th century. (Epic Games Store, ends September 23)
- Tharsis – Lead humanity’s first mission to Mars and back again in this intriguing turn-based sci-fi strategy game with dice and cannibalism. (Epic Games Store, ends September 23)
- Titan Quest Anniversary Edition – An excellent action-RPG set across various mythological realms, overhauled to include “restored and improved” multiplayer, support for a range of resolutions and a host of other improvements over the 2006 original. (Steam, ends September 23)
- Jagged Alliance Gold Edition – This is the original 1994 release packaged with the Deadly Games expansion, but despite its age it’s a classic of the genre and well-worth a playthrough if you’re starved of XCOM-likes. (Steam, ends September 23)
The games on Prime Gaming aren't technically free, since you need to be a subscriber in order to take advantage. But there's a lot on offer if you are, including in-game loot and starter packs for free-to-play games, so it's worth keeping tabs on. Prime Gaming is included with Amazon Prime at $13 per month, or $120 per year; links to all included freebies are available at amazon.com.
- Knockout City – Team up and duke it out in epic dodgeball battles with rival Crews in Knockout City, a dodgeball shooter that we really like a lot. (ends September 30)
- Tools Up! – Test your skills in this wild and fun co-op game and see just how ‘simple’ home renovations really are. (ends October 1)
- Sam and Max Hit the Road – The Freelance Police are in hot pursuit of a runaway carnival bigfoot in this bizarre, brilliant LucasArts adventure classic. (ends October 1)
- Puzzle Agent – When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, Nelson Tethers from the U.S. Department of Puzzle Research is sent on the case. (ends October 1)
- Candleman: The Complete Journey – A unique puzzle platformer where light is both a welcome ally and a deceptive foe. (ends October 1)
- Unmemory – You need to read to overcome challenging puzzles and move forward in a thriller story where image, sound and interactive functions are carefully interwoven into the narrative. (ends October 1)
- Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis – By the time Nina Kalenkov realizes that the recent catastrophes were caused not by nature, but by an unscrupulous secret society known as Puritas Cordis, it is almost too late. While her ex-boyfriend Max, a scientist, witnesses the brutal methods of Puritas Cordis at the excavation site of an ancient Indonesian temple complex, Nina joins forces with a priest in France to investigate the connection between the secret society’s sinister prophesies and the creepy leader of an ancient order. (ends October 1)
We'll keep this list as comprehensive as we can, but if you spot something we haven't, let us know in the comments.